Sunday, January 12, 2014

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia: a co-poem a la Lu Marie


I haunted the steps of St. Francis of Insects,
now meditating on a rock, brown in the sun,
in hopes of mercying
myself to health.

Across an old train bridge,
Up through the woods,
Lichen-painted,
tucking scrubby oaks and pines.

The river is wide below,
and from here you can see
slabs of rock sunk copper-green,
'neath tubers, tiny from here.

Cicada hum,
Distant highway, and the wind-tree rustle
Here we are, out in the world
Let it ever be anew,
Amen.

San Francesco d'Insetti, you are standing on your rock now,
Looking rivers, accompanied by broccoli-thick trees.

I’ve been thinking about solitude,
in a deep-water way
and about maybe even writing
when the gong-sun hits,
and there you are, and 
your freckles.

I will start with single words.
Copper. Spade. Luminescent
Then phrases, sentences.

[My glass-bauble soul leapt from the bed!
D'ja catch that?]

Then poems,
Then stories,
rambles. Brambles.

You gave a woop, and I roared terrifically back,

So I’ll start here.

LMK & JV

No comments:

Post a Comment